There are many filed cases already about car accidents. This thing happens almost every day. No matter how careful you are at driving, you may also get involved in an accident. That is why as an owner of a vehicle, it is essential that you know what to do when car accidents happen.
- Stop the car. Do not attempt to drive your car anywhere near the accident. Or if you are involved in the accident, don’t attempt to drive anymore, even ifit’sa minor one.
- Prevent further accident. To prevent another accident, you can turn on the hazard light of your car. During dark times, some cars may not be aware of what is happening. To keep safe the scene, turn on your hazard light or keep yourself at the side of the road.
- Call the police. Even if there are no injuries involved, it is essential to call the police. This is because you will need the police document when you are going to claim the insurance of your car. The insurance is essential to help fix the damage to your car. The vehicle involves will not be moved and stay where it is until an investigation is done.
- Tell accurate information. When the authority arrives at the scene, make sure you tell them all the details regarding the car accident at the best memory you have. If you are not sure, you also have to tell the officer questioning you. Do not even try to guess or speculate any facts. If you are not injured but you are not sure, instead of saying no, say you are not sure. Some injuries take time to be felt. You have to make sure that other people involved statements coincide with you.
- Take photos. If you have your cell phone or a camera with you, take a photo of the scene. It can also be an evidence you can submit when you are going to claim the insurance. You also have to obtain the name, address and contact number of every person involved. If there are witness near the accident, you can also ask the name and contact number of the witnesses. The police officer who will make the report about the accident usually has a report number. You can use that report number to submit to your car insurance company.
- Notify your insurance immediately. There is an insurance company who has the policy to notify them as soon as this thing happens. You can find out what coverage you have in your insurance. This is to know what are you going to pay. Some health insurance company will have a full coverage if the injuries incurred are from the accident. Immediately submit a claim so there will be a help as soon as possible.
- Keep all the documents. The most important thing you have to do is keep all the recorded documents about the accident. These documents involved the police records, photos you have taken, contact numbers of the people involved and many more.
- Consult an attorney. If you think you owe a claim, you have to consult your attorney. They will protect your right and make sure if someone did wrong that causes the accident, you will get what is entitled from you. Just make sure you have all the supporting documents needed.